18.1.10

one of fifty-two: Ebay Profit

Danger: 1/10

Excitement: 3/10

Satisfaction: 7/10

To be repeated: 9/10 (Almost certain - kerching!)

Mountaineering is hard. Especially when you have no experience, are pretty much unfamiliar with the processes, and don’t have confidence in your ability to pull your sorry saggy self up the sheer face of an ice wall. You’d have to be nuts to load yourself up with gear and walk into the path of danger and fear. You’d have to push your middle aged paunch into unknown areas, across the very history of the planet ensconced in an ancient glacier, you crampons digging into ice that may not have felt the feet of anything since the days of Saber-toothed Narwhale domination of the planet, or whatever. For most balding suburban desk cowboys, that would be too much.

For me, too. That’s why the first of my fifty two new experiences for 2010 was not mountaineering. That’s why its mountaineering is unlikely to be any of the other 51 new experiences, either. Let’s just keep it real and get a few easy experiences under the belt, eh?

So, selling on eBay... It was really much easier than I’d expected. Take a couple of photos (Check), upload them to eBay (check), write a funny but descriptive, um, description that is accurate enough not to get negative feedback (not really, but close enough, so check) and push the button.

And then wait for a very boring ten days. Yeah, you get to monitor the number of people watching your auction, but that is hardly riveting stuff. I thought I’d get a sense of satisfaction knowing that my crafted description so wonderfully matched with my instamatic camera handiwork had lured in schools of hungry bidders, like barramundi to juicy fresh-water crayfish. But no. My pedestal fans got a handful of watchers and bidders, while the 1977 TV with the hilarious description was an unfailingly ignored. So, no relationship between cleverness and profit there, then.

Anyway, after a boring ten days there was a flurry of action at which time an experience bidder appeared and snaffled the fan, ignored the tele and was on his way.

I felt a bit used, actually. I feel like the hook from which the monster barra came from nowhere to steal my bait without getting snagged.

Oh well. Maybe next week’s new experience will more satisfying…

In the mean time check out my auctions here

3 comments:

  1. broke the old ebay cherry hey. Well good for you Stoush. I want to see the list of 50 that is unable to be publicly viewed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when shiv sena came into being I thought that they are doing a lot for protecting the rights of the common people. They are providing security to mumbaikar against under world dons. But eventually the situation changed and they themselves became the enemy of democracy by transforming themselves into mumbaiya dons under the shielded cover of politics.
    I think that after getting the over all idea conveyed though your article and the courage shown by king khan not only other bollywood stars but also common people will get the inspiration to raise voice against the wrong
    I also agree to the fact that mumbai should be declared as union terretory. If Maharashtra government and police is unable to control the day to day violence then its a better option to allow the central government and if necessary militants to control the situation. other wise what is situation of Maharashtra today can be of other states also..........which is a matter great concern and should be taken care of as early as possible.

    Vineeta Rai
    JRF,
    ILS,BBSR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks vineeta. I'm sure I agree with you. Don't forget to bid on my items!

    ReplyDelete